Saturday, November 27, 2010

Floral Pick Candle Ring

About three years ago I went in search of a candle ring.  Unfortunately, I knew exactly what I wanted.  I say "unfortunately" because every time I know exactly what I want, I can't find it...does this happen to you?

Anyway, not only could I not find what I wanted, candle rings were expensive, to boot!  Have you priced them lately?

Once I realized I was never going to find what I wanted the gears starting turning.  I picked up a candle ring and took a look.  "I could make one of these," I thought.  So I walked over to the aisle with all the Christmas floral picks and started looking.  I found what I needed!

These candle rings are super easy and you will love the results!  The possibilities are endless!

Here's what you will need:
floral picks 
(How many will depend on the type of pick and the size of your candle.
I used 4 here.  Half price at Hobby Lobby!)
30 gauge wire
wire cutters

Now, start curving your picks to the shape of your candle.

Then, begin wiring them together by wrapping the wire around two pieces at a time, like this.  Continue in this fashion until you have wired all your picks on and they will make a circle big enough to fit around your candle.
 Gloves would be a good idea here.  It hurts like the dickens when you poke yourself with this wire...not to mention, you bleed like crazy!  I wouldn't know anything about this, but I've heard it happens.  (Yea, right!)

Here are all four of mine wired together.  Now it's time to connect them to make a ring.  Be sure to measure around the base of your candle at this point to make sure it will fit!

Here are mine all connected.
You could, of course, wrap these with floral tape now that you are finished, but it's not necessary.  No one will see this.

Now all you have to do is "fluff" your picks!

This is the first set I made.

And here are the ones I made today.  Easy peasy, mac & cheesy!

Total cost for 1 candle ring:  $1.98!  Gotta love that!

I'm sharing at Under the Table and Dreaming!

7 comments:

  1. O M G!!!!

    I have a candy theme working in my house for Christmas and I love these picks. You maade a fab candle ring. Unfortunately for me, I have no Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and love it! The candle rings are so cute! Your "girls," er chichens, are adorable! Years ago, I had 3 roosters, 2 big ones and 1 little one. They waited on my porch every morning for their breakfast and at night, they slept in the big tree in my backyard. I am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me at walnutandvine.blogspot.com. Have you seen the blog, locationcentral.blogspot.com? It's a pretty neat idea. I will be checking in often!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I love this because I was needing something to go around my candles on my big candlesticks but I couldn't decide what. I actually picked up those same sticks at Hobby Lobby yesterday but put them back because I could decide what I would do with them! I will definitely be going back to get them! Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! I have to share on my FB page!! These are just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea...thanks for sharing it with us!!! I will be going to Hobby Lobby (my favorite store) to get what I need to make these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with my DD (The Only and Only Lady) these are wonderful. Very easy, thank you you for sharing the how to and showing us this. This is doable for so many other things. Pine cones, bundles of pine needles, the possibilities are endless
    Hugs
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on by and check out my newest post...
    http://threemenandaladyblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/candy-theme-kitchen-and-candy-candle.html

    ReplyDelete